Friday, April 1, 2011

C.S. Who?

I love to read. I mean... I really love to read. I own almost 1000 books. I give my wife death looks when she suggests giving some away or selling them to a used book store. My love of books has become a serious addiction and it can be a problem.


The other day I was reading (big surprise) and came across an article about C.S. Lewis. Naturally, I had to read it. For those of you who do not know, Clive Staples Lewis was the most brilliant Christian that ever walked this earth. At least that is what you think whenever you get around a bunch of Lewisians (that's right, just invented a word.) In this article the author was saying that it seems that Lewis is quoted more than Paul and everyone knows that Paul is quoted more than Jesus. So I mean, come on, C.S. Lewis, greatest ever.


But is he?


Now don't get me wrong, I own all of C.S. Lewis books from The Space Trilogy to God in the Dock to Til We Have Faces. I have given away copies with all my notes and observations in them and bought new copies, I have purchased new copies because I couldn't quickly locate my current copy. Love the man. Awesome. He is the greatest (did I tell you that?). But I have a question, much like the author of the article...where's the new C.S. Lewis?


When he came on the scene Christians weren't really noted for their intellectual muscle. But now? Christians and Evangelicals are more educated than ever before, more widely read, more conversant in their faith. So why is it that I look to see what Clive says about post- modernism before I see what Jesus had to say. Or what a more contemporary author, such as Timothy Keller, says (by the way he quotes Lewis extensively in his book The Reason for God. Really good book, read it if you get a chance)? Is that the reason why? Even new authors turn to Lewis when expounding their ideas and thoughts.


I remember talking to a friend of mind who is brilliant. He had just graduated with his bachelors degree and was already well on his way to his masters degree when I told him he should write a theology book. I feel that there is a need for a well written comprehensive theology book, written by a Pentecostal for Pentecostals. His response was, "Why? We already have books and we can just overlook or at least not follow those things that go against our brand of theology". I really didn't have anything to say back to him so I let the conversation drift over to other topics. But you know, I do have an answer. And I had it then, but was just too intimidated to say anything. If you don't know what you believe and cannot put it into words you don't really believe it. What I am saying is that until you figure out what YOU believe, not your momma, teacher, youth pastor, or BFF, reading other books then picking and choosing gets you in a lot of trouble.


Look at all the people you know that were strong in the faith and started taking religious classes from somewhere that didn't teach those doctrines. Where are they now? Most are living a watered down Christianity. I am not saying don't talk to those outside the group. You need and should do those things, but know what you believe first. Know it backwards and forwards. Inside and out. Then you can build, shape, and make the decisions on what you believe instead of having them made for you.


When I started Bible college, I was often thinking to myself, "Who am I to question these experienced professors? There are no pastors or missionaries in my family and I have only been saved a short time". This would cause problems in class because I would sit there listening to someone that was practically born saved and had been a pastor or missionary for 50 years and they were still only 38. They really knew their stuff and I was just soaking it all in. But all of a sudden, something being said or taught didn't make sense. And there were often times when I didn't get the same thing they did when I read those same scriptures. But instead of raising my hand and discussing the issue or seeking clarification, I just kept my head and my hand down and took those notes. Now that I know better, I understand that I should have questioned some things because I come to understand and believe that they were wrong.


At our church and in all of the ministries that I am associated with I constantly encourage and cajole people into thinking and questioning. But they have to apply the same questions and rules to everything. Don't buy into it because of who said it, unless of course it is Jesus. Think it through. Questions are not bad and in fact I often tell people to run if they attend a church where the leadership doesn't allow questions.


What about you?


Do you question? Or do you think it is only okay to question as long as it is not too serious a question? Or do you think there are certain questions that should not be asked because it might mean you are not sure what you believe yourself?

1 comment:

Falina said...

It is intelligent to ask questions. Not questioning or inquiring is like living in the same town your whole life and never thinking there is anything more than what you have experienced in your own little world. Also, just because you ask a question doesn't mean you have to accept the answer.